Saturday 20 December 2008

Coin brief!

This is a project I've been working on for the designer Matt Dent, who I met late on this term. He is the designer of the new coins for UK, and rather wonderfully, he not only went to the same uni as me, but also to the same college... AND secondary school. Coming from North Wales, and having never met another established graphic designer from the same background as me, this was quite exciting, But yes, he came to lecture at uni, we met and chatted, and he gave me a brief to give a try - to do some coin designs, for an olympic celebration coin - an actual brief that was issued by the royal mint some time ago.
Tough, because the two pound coin has to include the horrible 2012 olympics logo, the olympic rings, the text 'London 2012', and some reference to both chinese and british culture, and the handover. All in a circle less than 3cm wide!

Ah well. I've tried. Here are soem preliminary drawings.






No comments: