Saturday 20 February 2010

The UK Hyperbolic Crochet Coral Reef

I made a decision when I started this blog that it was going to be a blog purely of my own work, rather than a collection of things I like.
I'm making an exception for this post. Mainly because I've been unable to find any online pictures that do this justice (not that my own do much better) and mainly because it blew my mind and made me happy in all sorts of ways when I stumbled across it. The beauty of the thing, the sense of community in making it, the ecological/environmental message, the colour and vividness, the sheer oddness of the whole concept.

Yes. It's a crocheted coral reef. I was in Colchester a couple of weeks ago, and couldn't not go into this gallery when I saw it through the window.
The reef was created by hundreds of individuals, and is part of a worldwide project 'which fuses science and mathematics with art and handicrafts'

Enjoy.


1 comment:

GRACE OLLIER said...

wow! worth an exception i think, this is lovely. x