Wednesday 27 October 2010

The here and the now (and the soon)

Warning... this is going to be a blog with NO PICTURES... oh no!
But please bear with me, I hope it will be interesting nonetheless.

I just wanted to tell you about a few bits and pieces which are occuring in the near future of my life.

I remain unemployed, however I'm not so down about it as I was in my last blog... I suppose the job which I didn't get just wasn't the job for me, and I'm confident that soon there will be the job for me, and it will be delightful. And in the meantime, there's no reason why my days shouldn't be filled up with fun... Just because I'm signing on doesn't mean I need to spend all day every day sat at home in a guilty gloom!

So with this is mind, I'm going to quite a few gigs, travelling over to Bristol for this, doing various small freelance jobs (most of which I still can't talk about, hence the disappointing lack of pictures), and generally keeping myself busy.

At the moment I'm 'home' for a few days. Until I moved out at 19, I lived in the same house my whole life, and my parents have now decided to sell it, so I guess I'm sort of here to say 'Bye house!'... Although honestly I feel little sentimental attachment to the actual house, much more sadness about the friends who I won't see as often any more.
Although I'm totally coming back to visit lots. Who could keep away from the city that never sleeps... Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch?


Ok, I lied about no pictures. Anyway.
The true point of this blog is to tell you about what fun I'm going to have this Saturday night...
It's time for the annual White Night events in Brighton!

Basically, in celebration of the clocks changing, and the extra hour of night we're all granted, there are loads of incredible performance/arts/interactive sort of events running throughout the whole night in Brighton City centre, many revolving around interesting usage of light and sound and colour.

Sounds like awesome fun right? Well imagine how delighted I was to be specifically invited to one of them, in my blogging capacity, to come along and generally ramble and chatter about it. How delighted? Very delighted.

The event is hosted by Art Republic gallery, the Art Prints and limited edition prints store. (Incidentally also where I bought the frames for my degree show from, so I already have much affection for them... they were lovely) along with Ink__d and Wet paint productions

I'm going to take a little bit from their press release here, as they can describe it better than I ever could...

"Jubilee Square will be transformed in to an open air exhibit with huge illuminated blank columns dominating the scene. Street artists including Req, Pinky, Snub23, Hutch, Mishfit and Imbue will paint and spray freehand on them throughout the night. Continuing on the theme of ‘illumination’ the centre piece will be a digital graffiti wall, allowing artists and the public to create instant works of art.  Elsewhere in the square there will be L.A.S.E.R. tagging - where members of the public will be able to ‘light tag’ plus street art related short films will be projected on to the wall of myhotel."

Now basically, all of those artists are people I'm well aware of (And if you live in Brighton, you probably are too), as their work is to be seen all over the streets... seeing them work live should be pretty amazing. Not to mention in an illuminated context... As a child (and still to this day), I'm the kind of girl who gets excited and starry eyed walking through the lighting department in B&Q... that will be NOTHING compared to the joys of White Night. Total overstimulation awaits me.

And while this is the event I've specifically been invited to, there will be a ridiculous amount of other amazing things going on in the city centre that night, so I'm going to be having a good long wander round and soaking it all up. Doubt I'll stick it out through to the 'dawn chorus' (Although it does sound delightful)... but it will definitely be a late night!

If you're in Brighton, you should definitely be out and about that night. No excuses!

No comments: