Wednesday 10 November 2010

Brushes

So somehow, I've got an iphone. It's ridiculous, I totally don't feel I've earned it, but I've got it, and every time I see it out of the corner of my eye, I get butterflies in my stomach and go weak at the knees. (Well, not quite, but almost...)

Since getting it last week, I've mainly been quite boring and only used it to send texts, make crystal clear phonecalls (A great change from my old phone...), take pictures, and set alarms to wake me up in the morning. Oh, and Twitter.

But yesterday, I downloaded the Brushes app (inspired by the excellent Craig Robinson, who I've been a fan of since just about forever), and honestly I don't think I'll ever be bored again.

I don't claim to be an amazing illustrator... even less so when I'm effectively doing electronic finger painting, but I've really enjoyed doing these crude little sketches, so I figured I'd share them... even if their artistic merit is fairly limited!


Possibly not the most audacious start, but the first thing to hand last night when I downloaded the app was this mountain dew bottle. They were being given away free in the centre of Brighton a couple of weeks ago, and somehow I'd never quite got round to drinking it... it just sat on my table looking sad. No longer! Now it's forever immortalized in this late night finger drawing.
Then this morning I found myself sitting at uni with nothing to do, and decided to have a go at another drinking receptable... a disposable coffee cup. (As I'm still unemployed, the uni have delightfully let me go back to help out with the current open days. So if you're planning to go and visit the University of Brighton one of the next three Wednesdays, you might see me in my snazzy blue t-shirt.)

Anyway, after these two drawings, I felt that just drawing an object on a white background was a bit dull, so I rather ambitiously decided to have a go at the sunset on my way home. I took a photo of it too, so you can compare them side by side.
Honestly? I think the drawing is pretty rubbish, and my fingers almost froze solid doing it, but I'm enjoying being spontaneously creative. And hopefully with practice, I could get better.



UPDATE!
This is actually quite addictive isn't it... Decided to do a couple of abstract drawings, although in my mind they were petri dishes growing mysterious bacteria...








And then decided I should practice some more observed drawing... so here's a black and white drawing of my chair. I mean... it's a bit wonky... but you know, I shaded it sort of nicely! Haha, I'm trying.


No comments: