Thursday 9 June 2011

A year of incredible

It's pretty hard to believe, but this week was the University of Brighton Degree show - that means it's a whole year since my degree show - a whole year since I graduated.

Of course it's part of human nature to discuss the nature of time and how quickly/slowly it passes by, so it's no surprise I find myself doing the same thing - running off the same old clichés*... "It feels like just yesterday" etc etc

But it DOES feel like just yesterday I was gleefully standing in front of my degree show, looking out into the 'real world' and wondering what it held for me. Fortunately the ensuing year has held a lot of delightful, exciting, unusual and fortuitous occurrences, and I feel like a very lucky little graduate.

Anyway, much though you might have believed otherwise, this blog isn't actually about me talking about myself (for once). It's about this year's amazing group of graphic design and illustration graduates from Brighton Uni.

That last link will take you to their website, which was built by the excellent Josh Harrison. He was one of my degree show helpers last year, and lucky for him, I didn't realise at the time what an insane coding wizard he is, or I'd probably have tried to rope him into helping me build some ridiculously extravagant website.

I was lucky enough to go to the private view of the degree show, where I had a lovely time mingling around and soaking up the excitement. The next day I went back for another good look around, but didn't have my camera with me. I made a third brief visit after work, when I rushed around snapping some of my favourite pieces.
Unfortunately, I'm dreadful and didn't note down all names... So on the offchance you read this and see your work here, please tell me so I can link to your website!

Right, onwards...

For starters, a beautiful new alphabet by Bryn Mackenzie...


Shamefully, I didn't see the name of the graphic designer behind these beautiful pieces, but they were undoubtedly some of my favourites... (And my dreadful light reflecting images don't really do them justice either)


Katie Scott's gorgeous illustrations were another highlight...


Another illustrator whose work I loved was Pete Gamlen...


I first met Thom Bird midway through his final year, when I helped him cut out a selection of corrugated cardboard triangles. His paper and card exploits have continued and he has produced an amazing collection of final pieces.



I saw Charlie Sheppard's work earlier on this year, and the project which he's chosen to display is one of my favourites. The sports hall floor is so evocative and he created some beautiful posters to continue the theme.


Zöe Austin makes lovely photographic montages. Her postcard/business cards featured one of my favourites.


This is just a very small selection of the work at this year's degree show, and there is so much more amazingness that I couldn't possibly fit it all in one blog. Although you've missed their Brighton degree show, fortunately, there will be another show in London from July 8th – 12th at the Rochelle School. You can find more details on their website, and I'd highly recommend checking it out. We put on our London show at the Rochelle School too, and it's a beautiful setting for the work.

Now... on to the next year!

*It's only today I learnt the keyboard shortcut for ´... Learning doesn't stop at the end of formal education! I'm gonna be cliché, café and blaséing left right and centre from now on.)

No comments: