Friday 2 February 2018

Hourly comic day 2018

Well, it's now my fifth year of hourly comicsing. Here are the four previous years.

And actually the first year where I haven't reached the end of the day and been like 'ugh, these are terrible', rather 'Well, these are a tangible improvement from past years (although still far from where I'd like to be)', so that's nice.

The lessons I've learnt from previous years doing this are:
1) Don't try and do too much (i.e. colour, many many panels)
2) Keep it simple (stylistically I mean, try not to scribble, go for clean lines)
3) Draw neat boxes, stop trying to do it by eye, use a ruler, it just makes everything look tidier in this context

The lessons I've learnt from other hourly comicsers and just generally looking at comics throughout the year are:
1) Vary framing. In previous years I've been guilty of framing everything the same (mostly full body shots)
2) You don't have to document EVERYTHING that happens that hour. Just pick a thing or maybe two things max.
3) Facial expressions are everything. Try and get those right.

I'm ot saying I've succeeded at all of the above, but that's what I was trying for.

So, without further ado... My February 1st 2018. (Which actually turned out to be a very typical day for me with little excitement or adventure, and lots of me sitting at my desk working, ho hum!)


 
 














No comments: